LED Basics & Facts
LED (Light Emitting Diode) lights attract a great deal of attention as “a light for the 21st century”. This is the field where the market is fast growing as the LED light can be an alternative light source to a conventional incandescent bulb and fluorescent bulb. Compared to an incandescent lamp (bulb type), LEDs have lower power consumption and a longer lifetime. There are a number of advantages including being environment-friendly and having an excellent response speed. This technology is already introduced into a broad range of applications such as illumination, back lights, indicators and decorative lighting.
1. Color with High purity and vividness. So far, LED products almost cover the whole spectrum of visible light and the vividness of the color is much higher than the traditional bulbs. The traditional way to generate the multicolor light is utilizing filters which reduce the luminous efficacy of light source.
2. Long service life. The power consumption is 1/5 to 1/10 less and durability is 10 times longer compared to light bulbs. In LED technology development, the primary three colors of light have been developed and it became possible to realize a full-color display, which is utilized in coloring the display field. The average life expectancy of an LED light is 100,000 hours, which can greatly reduce the maintenance costs of lighting, avoid the often-bitter lights.
3. LED lights have no mercury in light source and no ultraviolet radiation in beam of light. LED is a kind of solid light source and environmentally friendly and can meet the special requirements for commodity exhibition at perfume store, jewel store, museum and art gallery.
4. LED is a kind of solid light source and resistant to shock.The low-calorie, non-thermal radiation, cold light source can be safely arrived in touch: to precise control of light and luminous perspective, soft-color, non-glare; No mercury, sodium and other elements of the potential health hazards of substances. Built-in micro-processing system luminous intensity can be controlled to adjust luminescence, optical and art combined.
5. Less power consumption. Single-tube power LED 0.03 ~ 0.06 kilowatts, a DC-driven, single-drive voltage of 1.5 to 3.5 volts, the current 15 to 18 milliamperes, reaction speed, high-frequency operation. The same lighting effects circumstances, the power consumption is the eighth incandescent bulbs, fluorescent tubes in half, Japan estimated that the use of optical efficiency than fluorescent lamps to replace twice the Japanese half of the LED and fluorescent lighting. Annual savings is equivalent to 60 million liters of crude oil. Lights on the bridge parapet cases, the same effect of a 40-watt fluorescent, and each LED used only 8 watts of power, but can Colorful changes.
6. The color of LED light is dynamic and can be set at different brightness. The combination of three original color of red, green and blue can be modulated through PWM.
7. LED light has strong emitting direction and makes good use of luminous flux; besides, it’s a mini kind of light
and is quite easy to design the outlook and to control the light intensity.
8. LED can be powered with direct current which is safer.
9. LED can be started up in milliseconds with no influence of startup temperature and realizes the full luminous flux instantly.
( Source : LEDInside.com)